Friday, May 7, 2010

May 7, 2010

Continuing on the theme of "Who do they say I am?" I've been reading from Matthew (because when I flip through the gospels, it's the one I notice with the most red text, meaning Jesus's direct words). So far I've read about Jesus being baptized. John the Baptist asks him why John should be baptizing Jesus, rather than vice versa. Jesus replies "It is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." He didn't have to - his salvation certainly wasn't riding on it, but chose to do so in order to set an example. There's today's daily bread.
Jesus is the example of spiritual living in a flesh body.
I often hear things about conquering the grave, defying death, etc. These are words that I've heard so often they no longer bear weight (and were always a little over my head anyway). So I'm backing it up to kindergarten level.
Since Eve decided she juuuuuust couldn't help herself (because wouldn't we all accept produce from a talking snake?), mankind has been on a downward spiral of sin. It is now in the genetic nature of our flesh body to entertain darkness. It is the easiest thing in the world to sucuumb to the temptation of the flesh body and disregard God's commandments for pure living. It is the hardest thing in the world to overcome the flesh body and fulfill every one of God's commandments for pure living, without a single falter. It is so hard that only one man has ever accomplished it. In the battle of darkness vs. light, flesh vs. spirit, he is the only man to ever emerge with a 100% success rate. The people I look up to most and consider spiritual leaders probably have a 75% success rate - only a good day. I'm probably running in the 40% range (still good enough for the MLB, might I add). Why in the world would I aspire to the example of someone with a 75% success rate when I have access to the documentation of the only perfect score in history? Respect your pastor, revere your Christ. Jesus is the example of spiritual living in a flesh body.

No comments:

Post a Comment