Thursday, June 3, 2010

June 3, 2010

I was thanking God this morning for financial provision and career opportunities when I got a bit convicted of the significance of these things. They simply aren't that important. In the list of my blessings, I often include air conditioning (especially when it's been repaired and the previous day our house was 83 degrees, but let's not get too specific here), reliable transportation (especially when it's just been repaired and the previous day had no car, but let's not get too specific here), and financial security. Although I am very appreciative of these things, they aren't the core blessings God has provided me. They're measures of comfort. I was born into a circumstance that allows for comfort, some aren't. Some are born into nations of persecution, some are born into poverty, some addiction. God is still their God. They may not be in circumstances as comfortable as mine, but they are still just as blessed. Which has me thinking today (when I can think - really, this four kids + prayer hour thing is hard), what are the core blessings God provides? Unconditional love, forgiveness via salvation (or is it salvation via forgiveness?), the unfailing presence of the Holy Spirit. I'm so quick to be thankful for my comfort that I overlook the biggest blessings I have. I can only hope that I would still feel so blessed if I were to lose my air conditioning, car, and financial security. To find my comfort in Christ alone is ultimate faith-living. I need to get there.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post! So true. It's easy to be thankful to God when we are doing well but the true challenge comes when we can still look to him and feel blessed even when we have none of our "normal daily comforts". I can only hope that if and when that time ever comes that we all can, that is a true christian. Good insight!

    ReplyDelete